Wednesday, May 11, 2011

OLE' - It's Dinnertime!

Some days are just busy!  Some days I don't have the brainpower to cook!  Some days are both!  Those are the days I turn to take-out my Crock Pot!

Living as I do in Arizona, I love Mexican food.  I often judge the quality of a restaurant by its shredded beef.  Shredded beef is a very versatile staple.  You can use it to complete lots of different meals: tacos, enchiladas, tamales, taco salad, nachos, whatever.  Here is my quick, no-fuss recipe for Green Chili Shredded Beef



Taco Salad made with Green Chili Shredded Beef

Green Chili Shredded Beef

  • 3-5  pound chuck roast
  • 1 large can whole green chilies
  • salt, pepper, and other spices
Generously season the chuck roast with salt, pepper, and spices.  (See the below pictures for how I season.)  Place the roast in the crock pot.  Pour the can of whole green chilies over the roast.  Cook in the crock pot on High for 6 hours or until tender.  Shred the meat with two forks and serve.  Store leftovers in an airtight container. 

Serve with your favorite Mexican accompaniments!

A lot of juice will develop as a result of the cooking process.  Drain off most of it before serving or else you will have drippy beef.  (You can reserve it to make Green Chili French Dip sandwiches.)  Don't remove all of the juice because you want to have some reserved for storing leftovers or else your beef will be DRY!

Everything you need for a yummy meal!
Close-up of the spices: chopped onion, ground cumin, salt, black pepper, chili powder, coriander, garlic powder.

I season the bottom of the Crock Pot before I put in the roast.

I season the top of the roast after it goes into the Crock Pot. 

Use a large can of whole chilies.  The chilies will shred into the beef at the end of the cooking time.  It is unnecessary to pay more for chopped green chilies. 

Pour the whole chilies over the top of the seasoned roast. 

6 hours in the Crock Pot!

I have to wrap the lid of my Crock Pot with towels to help keep in the heat.  I think I have a wonky lid.  

I didn't get any pictures of the shredding process, (sorry) but here is what we ate with it!


My husband's taco salad.

My clown-face tostadas! 

I didn't realize how silly that picture looked until I looked at the developed photo.  Oh well, they tasted delicious!

Don't forget to come over and "Like" the Greetings From the Asylum page on Facebook.  There is also a button on the sidebar.

My friend posted this recipe on her blog I Can Share My Recipes.  To find it click here or on the link in my sidebar!  Thanks JoDee!

I am linking up with these and other great linky parties.  For a complete list, click here or on the Linky Party page above!

Tuesday Night Supper Club

Photobucket

 UndertheTableandDreaming

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating







29 comments:

The Atomic Mom said...

There is a lady in my mom's ward that does a killer shredded beef. I keep asking mom to ask how she makes it. Instead she just makes it and brings it over. I still want to know her recipe. However, I'm going to try this. I love shredded beef. I never thought to put seasons in the bottom though, good tip. And it's not just your crock pot...our lid bubbles when it gets too hot in there. I always stick a papertowel in the lid to keep it from ratteling.

Unknown said...

Mi cas es su casa! That looks delish...My hubby loves this kind of food...I may have to do this and I am sure to get an ole out of him...Thanks for stopping by and thanks for sharing this...Mica @ The Child's Paper

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

those tostadas look yummy!!

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Isnt the crockpot the best thing ever?!! This looks yummy!! And too funny about the pic :)

-Lindsay

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

YUMMY Tanya! I "NEEEED a new crockpot!!! SO BAD!!! although what I do because I don't have one is USE the oven on LOW,LOW...or I use the aid of a "BrownNbag"(LOVE THOSE)! I am printing out your delicious recipe to try VERY SOON! Thank you so much,
Hugs,
Donna

deb said...

Boy, does this look yummy!!! I could almost smell it!
*hugs*deb

GardenOfDaisies said...

Oh goodness, this recipe sounds so delicious AND easy! I can't wait to try it!! (I love my crockpot!!)

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Oh this looks delicious! Thanks for linking this up to my "BFF" link party!

Miz Helen said...

We are going to love this recipe. I can almost taste it right now. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Tricia @ SweeterThanSweets said...

I judge the quality of a Mexican restaurant by its guacamole! =) And I have the exact same crockpot as you... my lid keeps in the warmth (I think!).

Kitty Deschanel said...

My slow cooker has a wonky lid too! I always tape it down and my hubby thinks I'm going to burn down the house :p

Brittany and Lindsey said...

Ooh, i love anything in a crockpot! Great idea. And thanks for stopping by my blog! Good luck with your early risers! 5 am?!? that's insane!

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Great idea. I'm going to have to try this! I love my crock pot.

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

looks delish! thanks for partying with whipperberry!
kisses

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

YUM! My crock pot died a year ago and it's one of the things I miss the most! This looks fantastic -- thanks for the recipe!

readwatchrelax said...

lol at the last pic!! :) I also like the idea of putting seasons on the bottom. The Hubs and I were talking about making tostadas, this would be perfect for the meat! will be breaking out the crock pot very soon!
popping by from It's a Keeper

Andie Jaye said...

that looks soooo yummy! i'll have to try this out sometime! thanks for stopping by and the follow today. am following you now too :) andiejaye @ crayonfreckles

Anonymous said...

Yum! I just put your recipe in my crockpot with some green chilies that I roasted at home. It smells delicious already.

Thanks for the recipe!
Mandi

Sondra said...

Not sure how I found you but THANK YOU for this recipe. My husband has complimented me on this for two days now. Have you ever eaten at Chipotle? This is as good as the shredded beef that they serve and theirs is sooo yummy.
savvysouthernsisters.blogspot.com

Susan Anderson said...

Sounds good to me!

(And my crock pot lid doesn't fit that well, either. Annoying!)

=)

linda said...

Oh yum.
I think every crock pot has a wonky lid...mine does, all of my daughter's do, there's 4 of them, and my sister's does.

Dazee Dreamer said...

oh my gosh. I want to make that now. Looks soooooooo good. Of course, it's getting closer to lunch time.

I hate the lids on crock pots. That is a fabulous idea on what to do. I might just copy that also.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

That looks easy peasy and good, all the things you want in dinner!

RNSANE said...

That sounds more than delicious and I love that it is so easy. I do love to eat...though my youngest son, 26, in his eternal effort to try to get me to be healthy told me he's not coming to visit until I weigh myself and lose five pounds! Bratty 26-year-old!

My Alphabe Thurday is at:

http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2011/06/alphabe-thursday-g-is-for-gasoline-june.html

ellen b said...

My kind of meal and my kind of recipe! I love Mexican food...
Thanks for sharing...

Unknown said...

It is wonderful that this meal looks at you eye to eye.

Judie said...

You have made me sooo hungry! I will definitely try your recipe! Good post!

Catherine said...

Yum! I love Mexican, and I love my crock pot. Thanks for the great idea for an easy dinner. I think I know what we'll be having one day this week! (mine might not be as (pretty though!)
- Catherine

Jenny said...

I make something pretty similar! We love this, too. Have you ever tried wrapping your tortillas in waxed paper and then foil and then putting them on the lid of the slow cooker for the last half hour? It makes them very yummy!

Thanks for a grandly delicious link this week!

A+