Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I've Got EGGS, Now What Do I Do With Them?

Without further ado as promised...

Here is part 2 of my mini-series on eggs. 

For PART 1, how to make the perfect Baked Eggs, click here for my post Got EGGS. 

Following you will find a step-by-step guide to making your own Delectable Deviled Eggs (in pictures)!






Carefully slice the eggs in half and place the yolks in a bowl.  I only made six eggs so I used a cereal bowl.  Notice how there is NO icky green color around the edge of the yolk.  They are light, fluffy and delicious!
Beautiful yolks!
Mix together your favorite stuff.  I used mayonnaise,  yellow mustard, dill pickle relish, salt, pepper, and my secret ingredient-celery salt.  (You won't tell, will you?)  Really celery salt and eggs make a marvelous combination!

Mix with a fork until desired consistency.  The yolks are so soft and perfect that anything more than a fork is a waste of energy. 

Make a faux pastry bag with a quart-sized freezer bag and a pastry tip.   Just snip off a corner and jam the pastry tip through the hole.  Just don't make the hole too big! 
ready for filling
Put the pastry bag into a cup to help with the filling.


Fill!  You can make a big star shape or a swirl.  Or try something else, they're your eggs. 

Be generous with your filling.  I had a few tablespoons of filling left over. 
 I sprinkled the finished eggs with finely chopped chives and cayenne pepper for a little heat! 
Try to wait long enough to take the picture before you begin snacking!  It will be difficult!
Here is the "recipe" for Deviled Eggs

There are no quantities because I just put in a little of this and a little of that until it looks right.  


Delectable Deviled Eggs
  • baked eggs
  • mayonnaise
  • yellow mustard
  • dill pickle relish
  • salt 
  • pepper
  • celery salt
  • cayenne pepper
  • minced chives


Slice the eggs carefully in half longways.  Put the yolks in a bowl with the mayonnaise, mustard, relish, salt, pepper, and celery salt.  Blend well with a fork until smooth and creamy.  

Use a small portion scoop or pastry bag to fill the egg halves.



Garnish the tops of the eggs with cayenne pepper and chives.  


Serve well chilled.



Here is the "recipe" for my Potato Salad:


Here is the potato salad again.  It was a big hit at the preschool graduation potluck!
Tanya's Potato Salad
Again, the quantities are relative.  The above salad has 8 potatoes and 12 eggs.  I used 4 green onions in the sauce. 


boiled potatoes (any kind you like)  chilled
baked eggs
mayonnaise
yellow mustard
dill pickle relish
dill pickle juice
salt 
pepper
celery salt
green onions


Boil the potatoes until softened but not falling apart in the water.  Do NOT peel them.  The peel keeps you from getting mashed potatoes.  Boil until a butter knife inserted into a potato slips out easily without sticking.  Drain the cooking water and chill the potatoes.  


Once the potatoes are chilled you can peel them.  I never do.  I like the flavor and texture as well as the nutrients that the peels provide.  Dice the potatoes.  I cut each potato in half lengthwise twice into quarters and then into 1/2 inch increments from there.  Place the potatoes into a LARGE bowl. 


Grate the baked eggs into the bowl with the potatoes. 

In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients: mayonnaise, mustard, relish, pickle juice, salt, pepper, celery salt, and green onions.  Mix with a whisk until well combined.  


Fold the sauce into the potato/egg mixture.  Work carefully with a spoonula.  (This is a favorite kitchen gadget.  LOVE IT!)  This step is much easier if you have a large bowl to work in.  If the bowl it too small, it will be very difficult to get the sauce well dispersed throughout the potatoes and eggs. 


Pour the potato salad into a smaller bowl for serving. 


Chill for at least an hour to allow all of the flavors to combine.  Serve well chilled. 


Serve some of Tanya's Potato Salad or Delectable Deviled Eggs made with baked eggs at your next barbecue!


They will be great!



I would love it if you became a follower of the Greetings From the Asylum page on Facebook.  You will find a link on my sidebar!  


I will be linking up to these and other great link parties.  To see a complete list click here or on the Linky Parties button at the top of my blog.  


Thanks for visiting!  



Fantabulous Friday!






Photobucket

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

Savvy Southern Style













































Tuesday Night Supper Club

Todays Creative Blog


 
















26 comments:

Maria said...

Hi! thanks for the kind comment you left at my bog and thans for following. I'm following your blog too.

Wolkenfees Küchenwerkstatt said...

Yummi, this potatoe salad sounds very good. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Many greetings

Anne

Shu Han said...

I love these egg dishes! love love eggs, cheap and yummy and so vesatile.

More egg ideas!

http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/03/baked-egg-in-jacket-sweet-potato-with.html

http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/04/soft-boiled-egg-with-sesame-roasted.html

http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/04/perfectly-poached-eggs-on-wilted.html

Andie Jaye said...

those deviled eggs look super yummy! i'd love it if you shared these recipes at my 1st tip-toe thru tuesday party! andiejaye@crayonfreckles

http://crayonfreckles.blogspot.com/2011/05/1st-ever-tip-toe-thru-tuesday-party.html

Chef in Training said...

This looks great! Thank you for your comment and for following my blog! I am excited to be your newest follower!

clustres said...

Makes me so hungry!

Paula said...

Oh wow, the deviled eggs look Soooo good. I'm ready for lunch now!

Michael said...

Yum. I love deviled eggs and potato salad. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I'll be sharing my potato salad recipe tomorrow!!
-Aimee

Jill said...

Oh they look yummy!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Erin said...

Oh yum! Both recipes look wonderful! We love deviled eggs in our house and can never have too many of them!

Splendid Little Stars said...

great recipes!
My mom was the best deviled egg maker!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

My mouth is watering!! Thanks for sharing your tips and great recipes!

DearHelenHartman said...

Thanks for visiting me at DearHelenHartman.com come leave your link tomorrow at my open house. I LOVE deviled eggs and using piping makes them so perfect. Following your blog now!

Andie Jaye said...

just wanted to stop by again and say thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday! hope to see you again next week!! andiejaye @ crayonfreckles.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Lovely pictures, simple explanations, that's my favorite kind of recipe.

Thanks for the great summertime cooking ideas!

Chris said...

Mmmmm. I LOVE deviled eggs! Thanks for sharing with Us and Them this week! Chris

Miz Helen said...

Hi Tanya,
Great Potato Salad and Deviled Eggs, two summer staples. One cannot have summer without these two items. Your recipes are full of flavor and would be delicious. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

Honey at 2805 said...

Looks good! Must confess that my deviled eggs never looked like that.

The Charm of Home said...

These are wonderful summer picnic foods. We always make them each year. Thanks for linking this up with HSH
Sherry!

Jenny said...

Delicious! We make our eggs and potato salad almost the same except I use celery seed instead of salt. Thanks for the idea. We're going to dinner at my parents tonight and now I'm going to take along devilled eggs. Too hard to resist! I'm going to read your intructions for perfect hard-boiled eggs, though. Mine, sadly, are rarely perfect.

AllieMakes! said...

We LOVE deviled eeggs around here. We use dijon instead of yellow mustard -its the french exchange student in me...
thanks for sharing!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love deviled eggs! Oh and I love your clever way of putting the deviled yolk back into the egg! Celery salt rocks! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party! Can't wait to see what you share next week!

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

This looks like a delicious Summer Recipe! We are hosting "FUN SUMMER RECIPES" at our Linky Party THIS WEEKS CRAVINGS! We'd love for you to come by and link up! (Thanks a million) :-)

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/06/this-weeks-cravings-linky-party-32-fun.html

Jessica said...

I love deviled eggs and yours look delicious! I'll have to try mine with celery salt next time - thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

hey Tanya! thanx for popping over to hungry homebody. let me know how you make out with the wheat berry salad. ps the eggs look SO good for screaming hot days :D

Julianna

Unknown said...

those baked eggs are genius! your recipe for deviled eggs is fab as well. funny..the inside of my oven looks just like yours...pizza stone and all! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.