Saturday, April 30, 2011

Flowers On My Mind - Part Deux

My daughter had such fun wearing her pink headband to church that I decided to make her another one.  One to match the white, fluttery, bohemian dress I found on sale at my favorite children's clothing store - Naartjie!

 I chose to make wrapped flowers this time instead of the singed edge ones I tried last time.  The result is absolutely beautiful!

Here is how you too can make this super easy craft!
Materials:
  • organza type material (I just used a left-over piece so I don't remember exactly what it is.)
  • headband
  • pearl beads
  • felt
  • needle & thread
  • glue gun and glue sticks
The fabric is soft and fluttery.

 Cut the fabric into 2" wide strips.



 Cut the felt into circles.  I made a graduated set with one large, two medium, and two small circles.


 Measure the fabric strips.  The large circle used a whole strip.  The medium circles used strips with 6" trimmed off. The small circles were 1/2 a strip.

Tie a knot in one end of the strip and begin wrapping and stitching with the needle and thread.










Add the pearl beads to the center of the roses after you finish wrapping and stitching.  The large flower used 6 beads, the medium roses used 5 beads each, and each of the small flowers have 3 beads.

large rose with beads


finished flowers with their corresponding felt circles

I had a ragged 1" piece of fabric left from one end of the fabric scrap.  I secured it with hot glue to one end of the headband and wrapped it tightly before securing it with hot glue at the other end.

leftover fabric piece


Wrap it tightly!

Use a thick line of hot glue to secure the felt circles to the underside of the headband.

hard to see hot glue

Add a lot of hot glue to the felt circles and attach the roses. 


With all of the felt circles attached, begin securing the roses.
Now it is all over, but the modeling....

First try....

Maybe we'll try Pooh...
Or no model at all....
I love the little strings shooting off from every direction.  It matches the feeling of her dress perfectly!

PERFECT!


I think this headband looks just like a little tiara!



I am linking this project to some of these great link parties.  For a complete list click the Linky Party page at the top or click here!

Photobucket
























craft























Party Button

 




A Crafty Soiree

Don't forget to "Like" the Greetings From the Asylum page on Facebook.  You can find a button on the sidebar!

24 comments:

Cubby said...

Adorable!!

Oxford Impressions said...

Cute headband. Thanks for becoming my newest follower and liking my PEEPS cake! i LOVE your blog design, very cool!

Heather at Farm to Fork said...

I love your headbands. I think my daughter would love these. Thanks for the post and for becoming my newest follower. I'm following you now too. :-)

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Hi Tanya, that is such a pretty headband! Thanks for stoppin' by today and for your sweet comment :)
Have a great day, Veronica

Michelle @ The Lazy Novice SAHM said...

I'm visiting from Somewhat Simple.

I saw the thumbnail with Pooh and the headband and I HAD to click, it made me giggle!

Thanks for sharing the tutorial, I love headbands and this one is super cute!

clavs said...

nice work! BTW,Happy Friday Blog Hop! I am your newest follower, hope you could visit mine and follow as well, tnx!
http://clavsupclose.blogspot.com/ http://ladyofthereel.blogspot.com
clavs

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my site! The headband is adorable!

Boden said...

Cute! Thanks for following me, I'm following you back!

Maria Matter said...

too cute! thanks for the pictures & tutorial!!

stop by my blog if you have a chance, I run a linky party on the weekends!
hugs

Brandy J. said...

I just found your blog and am your newest follower. Thanks for creating such a fab blog full of inspiration. I love the headband (and the modeling out-take)!

~Iffy~ @ StayAtHomeNation said...

Very cute! Thanks for linking to my Mother's Day Party! Have a great weekend & please don't forget to follow me =D
~Iffy~
www.stayathomenation.blogspot.com

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks so much for linking it up to my link party and I love your blog name!

Camille said...

This is darling! I started cracking up at the pictures of your little models- my little girl does the same thing. :)
Thanks for sharing this idea! I am your newest follower!
Camille @ sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

Kristie said...

LOVE this Tan, LOVE IT!!!!!! Can I just say that Pooh put me on the FLOOR!!!!! You rock!!! Love You!!

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

This is just FABULOUS! I ADORE the pearls with it! I just made a bracelet with the rosettes, and I just LOVE the headband!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

It's so pretty!! Thank you for the how to!

Jill said...

Beautiful headband- and 2 very cute models too!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Pretty! Thanks for linking!

Blissful & Domestic said...

I am doing a hair week in June over on Blissful and Domestic. I would love to feature this headband and maybe have you as a guest blogger. Let me know what you think.

Blissful_and_domestic@yahoo.com

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

this is totally smart band..lovely..white is all time cute color :)

Jenn Erickson said...

What an absolutely gorgeous headband and great tutorial! One of the things I miss now that my girls are older is shopping at Naartjie! It was my favorite store too. Your headband is absolutely the perfect fit for their whimsical and elegant bohemian style!

So great to have you be a part of "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday!

Jenn

Michelle said...

I was just stopping by to let you know I featured your project on Thrifty 101! Feel free to come on over and grab an "I was featured" button. Thanks for linking up and hope to see you again soon!
Michelle

Carolyn said...

So cute!

CatCat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.